NPE

NPE2018 Show Daily - Tuesday

NPE is truly ‘Breaking the Mold’ as a multifaceted experience, with activities, discoveries and opportunities to satisfy the needs of anyone who works in the plastics industry or has a need to know about plastics

Issue link: https://npe.epubxp.com/i/978479

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 88 of 103

TUESDAY NPE2018 M AY 8 TH One camera for fast, complete data capture With the ZEISS COMET L3D 2, you're using the latest sensor technology and project-oriented software for simple and reliable 3D data capture. One camera delivers excellent data quality and highly accurate measuring results, making the system the ideal solution for demanding applications. Visit us at booth S36173 www.zeiss.com/metrology // INNOVATION MADE BY ZEISS Single focus with instant results. ZEISS COMET L3D 2 Re|focus Summit Highlights Dell's Iniঞaঞve to Curb Ocean Plasঞc Waste In 2017, Dell launched the first packaging trays with 25% recycled ocean plasঞc content. By Heather Caliendo Plascs Technology More than 8 million tons of plasঞcs enter the ocean each year, according to the Ellen MacArthur Foundaঞon (EMF). On the current track, there could be more plasঞcs than fish in the ocean (by weight) by 2050. Corpora- ঞons are stepping up to the plate to tackle the ocean plasঞc crisis, and Dell Technologies is working to create the world's first commer- cial-scale global ocean plasঞc supply chain. During today's opening keynote of the 2018 Re|focus Sustainability & Recycling Summit, Oliver Campbell, director of worldwide pro- curement & packaging with Dell, will detail how business can be a force for tackling our toughest environmental challenges. Campbell says that the company started on this journey when Dell's first social good advocate, Entourage actor and founder of Lonely Whale, Adrian Grenier, brought to the company's aenঞon the challenges our oceans face today such as the plasঞc pollu- ঞon problem. "We considered if we could really tackle the problem and we did our homework," Campbell says. "We engaged with the best experts on the planet to have the business cases validated and we found that yes, there can be a commercial supply chain for it." Dell is well-familiar with incorporaঞng recycled material in its products. Since 2008, the company has included post-consumer recycled plasঞcs in its desktops. Sঞll, creaঞng a commercial-scale ocean plasঞcs supply chain is a huge task. Through evaluaঞon of materials and numerous molding trials, Dell eventually found the right formula and launched its first ocean-bound plasঞc pack- aging pilot in 2017 using them as part of a new packaging system for the XPS 13 2-In-1 laptop globally. The ocean plasঞcs supply chain process is made of mulঞple stages: Dell's partners cap- ture ocean plasঞcs at the source in water- ways, shorelines and beaches before it reaches the ocean. It then processes and refines the used plasঞcs, mixes the ocean plasঞc (25 percent) with other recycled HDPE plasঞcs (the remaining 75 percent) from sources like boles and food storage containers. Finally, it molds the resulঞng recycled plasঞc flake into new packaging trays and ships the trays for final packag- ing and customer delivery. "I really want to stress that this is not a novelty or a vanity type project," Campbell says. "We took a cold business eye to it about how to solve mulঞple problems—how to use ocean plasঞc, intercepঞng plasঞc be- fore it goes into the oceans and how to make it economically feasible. We believe we've done that." To expand on the ocean plasঞc project, Dell and Lonely Whale have formed a collabora- ঞve and open-source iniঞaঞve called NextWave, with General Motors, Trek Bicycle, Interface, Van de Sant, Humanscale, Bureo and Herman Miller. NextWave convenes leading technology and consumer-focused companies to develop a commercial-scale ocean-bound plasঞcs sup- ply chain. Addiঞonal supporঞng members of the group include UN Environment, 5Gyres Insঞtute, Zoological Society of London and New Materials Insঞtute. "We think it's essenঞal that we start to act now on this challenge," Campbell says. "What I want to share with the audience is that we believe through proper applicaঞon and with innovaঞon and supply chain excel- lence, we can find soluঞons to these daunt- ing problems. Many people believe that sus- tainability costs more and we are here to say that if it's done correctly, it costs less and can also be a brand advantage. This is something customers love and a big win for planet." The Re|Focus Summit begins at 1:30 p.m. and is located at the OCCC South, Level 3, S330. It is co-located with the Agricultural Plasঞcs Recycling Conference and the Carpet America Recovery Effort (CARE) Annual Conference. 83

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

view archives of NPE - NPE2018 Show Daily - Tuesday